Virginia H Dld

Verified Reviewer

Service call for my water heater

I called about my water heater thats leaking. You assigned me to Shawn Frye plumbing. They advised me they cant even come to diagnose the problem until next week. I need someone sooner! Please. Frye said they would call you to re-assign me to someone else. Ive tried to speak to a PERSON about this, and cant reach someone. I think this is very unfair, and problematic! Please contact me .

Preferred solution: Service , before next week!

Gail W Bjv
map-marker Columbia, South Carolina

Plumbing

First American Home Warranty - Plumbing
First American Home Warranty - Plumbing - Image 2
First American Home Warranty - Plumbing - Image 3

I needed two commodes fixed due to them running, two bathroom sinks fixed due to leaking under the sinks, a bathtub leak fixed which caused water stains on the opposite side of the hallway's carpet and 1 of the faucets in the kitchen sink needed to be tightened which caused leaking under that sink. I called June 2, 2022, due to one of the sinks leaking and called 1 week later.

The plumber showed up, and after he left the kitchen sink was still leaking, one of the commodes was still leaking, and one of the commodes were running without it being used. The work was done, but the same problems continued after the work being done and because I did not call within 30 days, I had to pay another $85 for service. After I called, I had to wait another 2 weeks before the plumber came back. I cannot use the kitchen sink and my carpet in my hallway has water stains.

They came back out on July 6th, another $85 paid. Only one bathroom and sink were completed of the 5 things needing to be fixed. I was told that before they fix the front bathroom, I had to pay another $85, I paid on August 1st. The commode is still running and there was water leaking in the hallway, which caused water stains in the carpet.

I called to inform them. Another plumber was sent.

September 9th, a plumber came out and fixed the bathtub leak and replaced one of the two toilets. Due to the water damage to one of the bathroom sinks, a new sink will have to be purchased, carpet will have to be cleaned due to the water stains in the carpet from the bathtub, bathroom sink is still leaking and currently turned off to prevent further leaks, and one bathroom toilet is still running

Ronald P Mpl

Verified Buyer

| map-marker Renton, Washington

Worthless Home Warranty Company

First American Home Warranty - Worthless Home Warranty Company
First American Home Warranty - Worthless Home Warranty Company - Image 2
First American Home Warranty - Worthless Home Warranty Company - Image 3

I submitted a claim and paid for a service call for a refrigerator that I received as part of my home purchase. The seal around the door was not closing against the body of the refrigerator because the door shelves had been stretched from having too much weight in the door shelves.

Condensation was building inside and creating an ice build up inside the fridge. The repair person told me that it needed to be repaired, but I shouldn't expect much from First American. As soon as they got the report they closed the claim as "not covered". Thanks for nothing.

I will not even try to get any help from them again.

I told them that they should just refund the cost of the policy and cancel the remaining time of coverage. I couldn't have been more disappointed in their service.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Rip off
Cons:
  • No credibility clear issues not addressed

Preferred solution: Refund the cost of my policy and quit defrauding people.

User's recommendation: Don't waste your money or your time with this unscrupulous firm.

Ronald P Mpl

Is this really a legitimate response from the company? My service request # is right there in the review in the screen shots of my claim.

I realize that your coverage does not extend to ice dispensers, but my main complaint was that the refrigerator would not close properly and was creating condensation build up inside the refrigerator as well as creating a lack of cooling. Now the fridge has gone to the point that the inside temp.

has been above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. So I have had to order a new fridge when it should have been covered by the warranty that your company was supposed to provide.

FirstAmericanHW

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues. If your claim is not yet resolved, can you please provide us with the claim number and we can connect with our team?

View more comments (1)
Ravikumar J Hsk

Assigns worst possible contractor

Assigns worst possible contractor and won't rectify. San Jose street plumbing never fixed my plumbing issue but closed the claim stating it's fixed. Fraud alert.

Jack H Yem

Verified Reviewer

This person supports our platform.
Get a badge ›

Supporter
| map-marker Brea, California

A/C problem not solved

American Home Warranty

Contract101********

Service Request31177****

I have been waiting since June of this year to fix my A/C. The latest excuse is that my return ducting is mashed, and needs replaced and that cannot be done without replacing all of the whole ducting system due to asbestos at a cost of $5000.00. This is pure BS if it were replaced it would not fix the A/C problem, there has been THREE other technicians looking at the problem and never suggested this. We have been running this A/C since 1977 without a problem until 2017 when you replaced it with new Unit with an "extra cost" of $920. Everything has been working fine until May of this year, and we ask for service, you sent out Solar A/C and heating, they said that the Heater was on recall and replaced it to the (tune of $2336.00 in "extra parts.) Then you sent out another company and they put in two pounds of Freon (that did not solve the problem)

Then you sent out Dunn-Right and they found a smashed exhaust was told that if I did not replace the smashed exhaust, they would send me $400.00 as compensation. (If you were to send any compensation should be $3256.00 is my out of pocket to solve the problem) Dun-Rite and wants to replace the ducting that has been functioning since 1977. (As far as I know Dunn-Rite smashed the exhaust to get an abatement job) I have an official report from a State Inspector that says that if the asbestos is not disturbed it is not a problem just leave it alone.

What I really want is to FIX my A/C per your contract if you cannot fix it, REPLACE IT. (You do not have to disturb the asbestos to do this)

It only fails in the afternoon heat of the day; it reaches a temp of 79 degrees and stays there running until it gets dark my electric bill has gone from $300.00 to $636.00

Jack Houser 714/671/9417 **** Fawnridge Dr. Brea, California Email: jacks_house@***.net Who do I have to talk to solve the problem? it is the A/C failing (that was functioning since 1977!!!) not the ducting.

{{Redacted}}

Loss:
Pros:
  • Policy
Cons:
  • Lack of understanding and experience

Preferred solution: My A/C fixed or replaced

User's recommendation: Create an easy way to contact your customer service without waiting a long time to talk to a person

Teri R Yzv

Verified Buyer

| map-marker Carroll, Iowa

Horrible company all the way around!

First American Home Warranty - Horrible company all the way around!
First American Home Warranty - Horrible company all the way around! - Image 2
Updated by user Jul 11, 2022

they keep telling me I have to wait another 24-48 hours for them to assign me to another contractor

Original review Jul 11, 2022
One call the guys wouldnt even go under the house. They just stuck their phone down the crawl space and took pictures.

They sent me to collection even after I told them I wasnt going to pay for the lack of service.
My oven broke, the wanted to give the call to sears but they were out a month. Then they assigned someone else and they dont come out to where I am. So Im still waiting for someone to respond about this. Im handicap and like most everyone else these days not enough money to live.

I cant possibly go out to eat daily until they get their act together. I just asked for a refund.

So we will see how that goes. Angry
Pros:
  • Seemed like a good company
Cons:
  • Unable to receive adequate resolution to issue at hand
  • Incompetence

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Absolutely not!

James J Clz

| map-marker Lancaster, Ohio

A/C unit replacement

Contractors not cooperation, I pay monthly for this policy and the contractor is telling me to get financing of 2,365.00 in order to get a new unit installed??? According to FAHW, my cost is a service fee of 85.00. I did have a hot water heater replaced. No question asked, just the service fee and I was satisfied with the whole issue. This complaint on my A/C unit is very negative to your company, and cancellation is my next go to, thank you, James Jauch, phone number is 614446****.
Pros:
  • First repairman they sent out
Cons:
  • Horrendous service - expect calls all with very long hold times
  • Poor service
  • No follow up

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: No way.

Katie H Vve

| map-marker O Fallon, Missouri

Waited 15 days for contractor appt, and they were a no show. Seven days and 4 phone calls later, later, still no new contractor assigned.

Dishwasher out and washer not pumping water out. Went on line and reported the two issues and paid the fee.

Next day assigned to a contractor and given an appt 15 days later!! Called in twice, on hold over 45 minutes each time to get a different contractor. Never happened. The day before and day of my appt I called the contractor, no answer, and I left messages.

Contractor did not show up or call. After 7 additional days and 3 phone calls (2 on hold over 40 minutes), I still do not have a contractor appt. Twenty three days with no dishwasher and a crashing washer. I am told it was escalated last week, and again tonight .

. . both promising a call with a new appt within 24 hours. However, the agent said there are only two contractors in the whole St.

Louis area in her system???

This is not the first major mess up. Last fall a contractor took my furnace apart and left pieces on the floor and never came back...void A

Pros:
  • Will never use again
Cons:
  • Very limited ability to make contact with customer service
  • Very few contractors let alone qualified ones
  • Poor customer service and lack of follow through

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: Avoid this company, they have no way to contact them other than waiting on the phone. No email, no instant message. You have to pay online before the contractor is even assigned. When they don't show up, or leave mess you are just out the $$. Their contractors are subpar, and do not return phone calls either.

David W Jzy

Terrible company

Updated by user Jul 19, 2022

Told us that we had to submit the original work order from the company we called and then they would send out a 3rd tech. Probably from another *** company

Original review Jul 19, 2022
They refuse to pay for anything no matter what is wrong. If the tech can't fix it on the spot, it is either your fault or they don't cover it. Also, they use the absolute worst companies that are available in your local area. We called them out when our microwave quit working and they told us that we had put metal in it. What a joke. The hot water heater needs to be replaced according to the plumber we called out, but because of the cut-rate plumber they sent, the report did not exactly reflect that issue.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Still trying to think of one
Cons:
  • We need to be able to chose contractors
  • Lack of competence
  • Everything they say in the sales pitch is a verison of the truth

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Stay away from these scammers

map-marker San Antonio, Texas

You can never get anyone on the phone.

I am on hold right now waiting for customers answer the phone, so far its been 28 min 14sec. no answer.

The best way to get somebody on the phone is to call cancellation support. It took me a week waiting on hold appprox. 20 min at a time, it didn't work so I decided to cancel the service. I called Cancellation Support and was answered in maybe 2 min.

They are more helpful than customer service. Either fire customer service reps, retrain, get more people, or fire the management. You really need to have another way to contact besides phone numbers. It's 2022!

It's the digital age. If customer service was rated best out of 100% I would give them a 30.

User's recommendation: Find a warranty company that has more than just phone numbers to contact. Poor customer service

Jeremy W Lce

Consistently terrible experiences

Original review Apr 08, 2022

I have the Eagle Premier package, I think that means we paid for a higher quality of coverage (maybe their highest?). I made three claims.

The first was for a kitchen faucet and sprayer that retails at ~$700. I paid $75 to have them come out and agree it needed to be replaced and it was covered. They then said they have a standard replacement faucet (which looked like it probably cost $20), or I could buy a faucet and they would install it, or I could accept a payout. The faucet required one hole in the counter, while my faucet had two holes.

It was also a different finish from my other fixtures around the sink. I asked for the payout, because I'd rather install it myself than wait on hold to get them to do anything else. The payout turned out to be $45. So for that claim, all they did is make me wait on hold to tell me my faucet needed to be replaced and it was covered.

For that coverage, I paid them $75 - $45 = $30. How is that a warrantee? Are they supposed to pay me when something breaks?

The second claim was for a $1000 motherboard that controls my pool equipment. They told me that circuit boards were covered, but remote pool controllers were not.

This is a circuit board, so I paid $75 again to have them come and tell me that they don't cover pool controllers, even after I told them exactly what was broken before they came...and then they came a agreed it was broken.

The third claim has yet to be resolved, but so far they say they have ordered a new part and it is being mailed to me. I got away with not paying the $75 yet, because I kept trying to talk with a person, but their automated claim phone system wouldn't let me. So it just said I could pay when the contractor arrived. He didn't ask for payment.

I didn't offer it. Their system says I owe them $75.

I'm not going to pay until I see how this turns out. Wish me luck.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Friendly sales people
Cons:
  • Unreasonable offers for claim resolution

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: Save your time and money. Don't bother with a home warranty from First American.

FirstAmericanHW

Jeremy, Thank you for your comments. We would like to look further into this for you but was unable to locate a claim with the name provided. Please reach out to us directly and we can assist.

Michael M Rai

Verified Reviewer

Having to pay additional $375 to repair an outside hose bibb.

Updated by user Apr 26, 2022

No refund yet.

Original review Apr 26, 2022
I have the upgrade package which includes repairs to items that might have been considered as improperly installed. Plumber showed up as scheduled and charged me another $375 for modifications needed to replace the leaking hose bibb.

My house was built by Perry Homes of Texas which like many other homes has copper pipe which the Contractor hired by FAHW had to cut the wall to expose the copper pipe in order to install a new line and hose bibb since they claimed they did not have enough copper pipe to swelt a new hose bibb onto which actually looked like a treaded connection to myself. Contacted FAHW and they stated that modifications are not covered and I should have negotiated the price with the Plumbing Contractor which I never thought that I needed to do such.

If I would have known that, I would have cancelled my 12 year old / $1000 policy per year with FAHW and go with Angi. Basically consumer service is for FAHW versus the consumer.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Contract not clear on what consumer has purchased

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Buyer beware of First American Home Warranty. Seek Legal advice before you purchase a home warranty plan from First American.

FirstAmericanHW

Michael, Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We were unable to locate your claim with only the name provided. Can you please provide us with the claim number and we can look further into this?

map-marker Morgantown, West Virginia

Terrible experience

Automated phone system is terrible, I finally reached A PERSON by calling renewal number. My claim wasn't processed and I was told I"d be getting an email explaining how I can get the repair done privately and be reimbursed by First American. NO EMAIL but of course my credit card was charged immediately. I've invested 10 years and thousands of dollars but I will be cancelling

User's recommendation: Use another company

Caroline W Fxc

Let’s see, service request November 21

Service request opened November 2021 Best thing First American home warranty is good for, 30-90 min hold and hanging up! No return call no ask if all is good! Only call is your warranty is due to expire July 1st, renew now! Why would anyone renew with a company that hasnt been able to correct a problem from November, did I mention this is June 21st! I think they owe me a free year, nothing else is broken, pretty bad the only communication is wanting to sell me a new policy
Loss:
Pros:
  • When something gets fixed

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

User's recommendation: Don’t buy a home warranty from this firm, unless you want to call 20-30 times, receive no response, receive no action and get hung up on every time you ask for a supervisor!

Minh L Wtk

| map-marker San Diego, California

Shaddy Contractors

I had 2 service requests, both was serviced by shady contractors, They said my home warranty not cover the repairs and asked for cash money to fix those. This plan was bought by the seller of my home because it was the cheapest plan.
Cons:
  • Horrible follow through
  • Unreliable
  • Placed on hold for hours

User's recommendation: Do not buy

Fady S Vnt
map-marker San Jose, California

Not fixing a safety issue

First American Home Warranty - Not fixing a safety issue

First American is The WORST homeowner warranty company EVER!! , NEVER sign up with them, and Ill personally terminate my contract with them after this issue.

Theyll make you hate your life, and waste many hours try to reach them out or talk to either a representative or even a supervisor!! Ive been dealing with this safety concerns for over a month and had the WORST experience ever with First American and their last contractor company Fox Appliances! My stove dose an explosion sound randomly when I try to use a specific burning eye, it happened 3 time and first time it literally jumped 3 inches from its location!!!

They have assigned me 3 different contractor to check same issue!!! As first 2 contractors either recommended to buy some parts and fix the stove or replace it!!

Lastly they sent supposedly an expert, then the guy they sent came in literally without carrying any single tool!! Did nothing on the stove (not a single diagnostic test) then provided a report to First American that theres no mechanical issue!!

I talked to multiple managers and asked for a complain email, they said they dont have and I can just send them a letter over mail!

Their resolution is just live with it!!!! Indirectly, wait until it explodes or kill someone so that we can be convinced to fix it or replace it!!!

First American is a BIG scam, dont waste your time or money paying for them!!

Cons:
  • No mechanism to engage with higher level management
  • Lousy service
  • Poor service by them and their contractors

Preferred solution: Fix or replace my stove

User's recommendation: First American is a BIG scam, don’t waste your time or money paying for them!!

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article